Sunday, July 09, 2006

Plants


Plants
Originally uploaded by cafn8.
I guess you could say that recently, I've discovered gardening. I've always known it was there. I was always very close to it growing up. In fact, almost every summer day after work my dad could be found out in the garden in cut-offs, tending to the plants. Like most kids, though, I saw working in the garden as work. I kept my distance whenever possible. I wasn't within striking distance of the gardening bug. Dad, on the other hand grew up on a farm. Gardening seems to be very deeply a part of who he is. In fact, even though Mom and Dad now live in the Arizona desert, Dad is still able to keep an impressive garden all year around through the use of technological gadgets. The blast of the Arizona sun is no match for shadecloth, a network of mist nozzles, an automatic watering system, and a strong will. The urge to grow things is strong for those who have it.

I think I have it too. For the past couple of years, I guess we've just been too busy, or didn't get things out in time, but we really didn't have much of a garden to speak of. A few annual flowers, and maybe a couple of other plants put out late in the season were all. This year we did more. We cultivated it and added a lot of rich compost. It really has taken off. It's a good feeling. I couldn't really say why it feels good. Maybe it's the feeling of being closer to nature. Or maybe it's the feeling of having made something (although the plants mostly grow themselves as long as they have all the things they need.) I guess it's also just calming being surrounded by healthy green plants. Whatever it is, I think I'm hooked. This is why I plan to build a little warm place where the plants can keep growing this winter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home