Tuesday, May 09, 2006

How Funny?

Did you ever notice how sometimes people get away with saying things that make no sense by counting on the fact that nobody is really listening? I just heard one of those instances on the radio while I was driving home from work today. A reviewer was quoted as describing a show as "blisteringly funny". Although I was only paying a small amount of my attention to the radio at the time, I could swear that's what I heard.
Then I started paraphrasing what I had just heard, and the nonsense just got worse. They could have said "so funny that sores will develop on your skin" or "so funny that your skin will peel off." They might just as well have said "so funny that you will break out fluid filled lesions, which will break open, leaving behind weeping sores." It would take some truly exceptional comedy to do that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home