Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Acceleration as Safety Feature

Although you would have a tough time convincing a insurance agent, a speedy car can be a safe place to be in a hostile environment such as New Jersey traffic. As I write this my hands are still shaking a bit from what took place on my way back to work with my Chinese take out. It was a normal day. I was on my lunch break, and taking my time as I rounded the corner on the side of the strip mall near work. Just then, I spotted a run down old brown Toyota Camry headed straight for my side (I was on the outside of the corner.) For a split second I hoped he knew what he was getting into, but it was immediately clear that he didn't. I heard the "SHHHHH" of sliding tires on the wet pavement and saw that the car's front wheels were cranked fully to one side as the car plowed in a straight line, completely out of control. I floored the accelerator as all four fresh tires gripped the pavement and shoved me clear of this buffoon's path. What happened after that was his problem.

2 Comments:

At 7:53 AM, Blogger malfunction54 said...

wow! Sounds like some good, quick thinking on your part. Glad you made it okay. Did the chow mein make it, too?

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Cafn8 said...

The lid was on the wonton soup nice and tight, so no problem there. The Chinese food guy forgot my sweet & sour sauce too, so no problem there either, except that I had to scrounge up some duck sauce for my chicken when I got back to work.

On second thought, maybe I should check under the passenger seat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home