Wednesday, February 06, 2008

New to Me

I'm really looking forward to this spring. Mostly I'll be happy when the daylight lasts long enough for me to start riding to work again. Why? I'm itching to get back on my bike and resume riding to work. This is especially true due to my new bike. I can't really call it new, because it's actually around 20 years old, but it's an honest-to-goodness road bike. It needs a little freshening up, but to my crude mountain biker sensibilities it feels lightning quick. My plan is to make it a full time commuter bike. Nothing fancy, but hopefully I can pull off "racy but not uncomfortable", "practical but not boring" and "cheap but not dumpy" all on the same bike. Right now, the intended setup is fairly close to its 12 speed "sport" setup, with drop bars, 27 x 1-1/4 tires, etc. Which I will leave intact for now. However, I plan to install full fenders, a rear rack, and am considering replacing the 12 speed derailleur setup with a 3 speed internally geared setup. I think a Sturmey Archer AW geared in the mid 70" range would suit me nicely if I can get my hands on one. I've been curb shopping lately for old cruiser bikes in the trash, so we'll see. I understand these hubs are pretty indestructable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home