Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Episode 2- Better Late Than Never

It's been some time since Star Wars Episode 2 came out, and despite the rantings of various friends about the quality of the movie I finally saw it. I have to say that I did enjoy it. By this time, however, I don't suppose that anyone wants or needs to read another review of this movie, so I'll just insert my two cents and call that good enough.

Sorry if this comes across sounding a bit cynical, but it's too bad that this movie relies so heavily on computer graphics. I have to say that as much as I tried I could not be convinced by whatzisname playing Anakin Skywalker. Even the emotionally charged (or especially the emotionally charged) scenes just seemed a little hollow. The facial expression was there, the tone of voice was there, but somehow that intangible thing that makes me believe that the actor is feeling what the character is feeling is missing. In fact, Yoda's performance in CG was more convincing. I can't say that about all of the characters, but it seems that in a movie guaranteed to make gobs of money they would have made sure that the main character, the focal point of the whole trilogy, was played by an actor who could deliver the goods. Maybe I'm missing the point. Maybe the real stars are the spaceships, droids and 'splosions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home