Wednesday, August 25, 2004

I Bet a Small Block Would Fit..

I Bet a Small Block Would Fit..

Having re-installed my car's intake silencer and let my subscription to "Sport Compact Car" run out years ago, you could say that I'm a bit out of touch with current custom trendz. That's not to say that I'm not interested in cars anymore. I just have to figure out what this "growing up" stuff is all about before I drop large sums of money (which I don't have) on something so frivolous. I'm sure "growing up" will involve cars to some extent as my wife and I have a '73 Standard Beetle which we're fiending to fix up, but the import tuner scene is not likely to be my scene, if and when we do get into it. That being said, I do enjoy my Impreza, and if it didn't have to have a somewhat responsible appearance I'd most likely enjoy spiffing it up a bit.

About a month ago I was at a cruise night/ car show with my wife and father-in-law. I was reminded of a look that I had seen before and really liked. Way back in history ( way before me, anyway) when a guy just wanted to make his car go fast and didn't want to fuss too much with a paint job he might spray a coat of flat black paint on it and be done with it. The first time I saw a car done like this I was not quite sure what to think. It looked a bit like they sprayed a primer coat but no finish coat. As I got accustomed to seeing this I realized that I kind of like it. It was a pretty menacing look. All business with on extra flash. I mentioned to her that if I were to do something with my car I'd want to do a kind of 50's hot rod style make over with a flat black paint job and smoothie rims. That would be pretty unique.

A few days ago I was in the local Auto Zone buying 4 quarts of synthetic oil and a filter. I glanced to the side as I waited in line to pay and I couldn't believe what I saw. "Sport Compact Car" magazine was running a feature on a new STi Impreza done up old school. Sigh. Not only had they had the same idea with the same flat black paint, they used essentially the same car! I paid and left in disbelief. The next day, I decided to check out the SCC website. I found no information about the matte Impreza, but I did find (of all things) a flat black Mini Cooper S. It was a very cool car, but my bubble had been burst. I guess it's time to look for a new unusual thing to daydream about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home