Thursday, October 20, 2005

It's Finally Here!


It's Finally Here!
Originally uploaded by cafn8.
Actually it didn't take long to get here at all, but it's nice to be able to actually hold something in my hand. The "it" I'm talking about is our new DSL equipment. As anyone with a TV knows, the phone company has been pushing very hard lately to gain new customers for their DSL service. The price is certainly competitive. At 15 bones a month, it's actually much cheaper than the dialup I currently use (don't look at me, I'm ugly) Yes, that's right. I still use a good old modem to connect to the internet (that's when I'm not using good old GPRS.) it's a big blow to my geek cred every time I tell someone that they shouldn't send me those big files because I still have dialup, or that I've been putting off setting up a network because I need to figure out which computer to put the modem on and how to dial it up to share the glorious 56k with the other computers. This service, while not the fastest option, should solve my home connectivity woes.



I'm not counting my chickens yet, though. Up until recently, every time I checked for its availability, I was disappointed. Since we don't have cable TV, and would rather not pay cable prices, that left us to rely on dialup service. It struck me as a bit odd that the moment the prices came down, the phone line was suddenly ready- or so I thought. It turns out that we actually have to wait for our line quality to be verified. Good grief. This doesn't look promising.

2 Comments:

At 8:34 AM, Blogger moevans said...

If it does work, are you going to let my folks know? I know Mom really wants it.

Congrats and welcome to 2005!

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Cafn8 said...

Their experience is how I know not to be too optimistic. I really want a better connection too, though

 

Post a Comment

<< Home